Having Your Baby at Oconee Memorial Hospital
Having a baby is an extraordinary experience. At Oconee Memorial Hospital, you’ll find a special environment designed to make your childbirth one of the most memorable experiences of your life.
Special care close to home
Our skilled, supportive physicians and nurses make every family’s childbirth experience as rewarding as possible. We understand that every family and every birth is unique. So, in addition to superb medical care, you’ll also receive the nurturing, personalized care you deserve at this special time. The Family Birthplace provides the expertise and technology to give the newest member of your family the best start in life. Learn more about us by watching this video.
A calm and relaxing setting
Created with your comfort in mind, we offer a warm, home-like environment conducive to a family centered birth experience. Our state-of-the-art facility combines thoughtful, personalized touches with the finest in modern obstetrical services. The Family Birthplace features private rooms where you will go through labor, delivery, recovery and post-partum. Each spacious room is equipped with everything necessary for the birth and care of your newborn baby. These include a private bath and shower, television, vanity and bureau for personal belongings and a sleeper chair for family members or support person. Framed photographs of local wildflowers and an abundance of natural light add to the serene, home-like atmosphere.
Bonding with your new baby
After your baby is born, you’ll continue to rest and become acquainted with your newborn in your private room. You and your baby will have the same nurse attend to both of your needs, a pairing that will help you get to know your baby from the beginning. If you choose to breastfeed your baby, our knowledgeable staff can help you with technique and answer your questions. Nurses at The Family Birthplace will provide individual instruction in holding, feeding, diapering, dressing, bathing and caring for your baby.
Peace of mind
Sometimes babies need additional care and may be placed in our nursery, a highly skilled unit. With our staff of expert nurses and physicians, babies receive one-on-one care in the nursery. At times, premature or sick babies need to be stabilized at Oconee Memorial Hospital and transferred to another facility. As a part of Greenville Heath System, we have access to the Level III Bryan Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Using special mobile equipment and a trained team, babies are transported safely to receive the care they need.
After delivery, a celebratory meal for two is provided for the new parents by Fresh Inspirations Café. Parents can choose a steak, chicken cordon bleu or other meal of their choice as our way of helping celebrate the arrival of a new life. In addition, every maternity patient on a “regular” diet has the option of ordering room service at any time during their stay. Popular breakfast items include omelets, biscuits and gravy and other traditional breakfast foods while lunch and dinner menu options include hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches and more.
Education and preparation
Throughout each stage of your pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum care, we will work closely with you and your family. You and your family members may participate in our array of childbirth education classes offered by our Wellness Center covering prenatal care, childbirth, physical recovery and breastfeeding.
We invite you to visit The Family Birthplace at Oconee Memorial Hospital to learn more about our facilities and caring, supportive staff. Tours of The Family Birthplace are included in childbirth education classes or you may call (864) 482-3200 to arrange a tour of your own.
- Board certified OB/GYN physicians
- Celebratory meal for two provided after birth
- Certified obstetrics nurses
- Cesarean section operating room conveniently located nearby
- Childbirth classes offered at Wellness Center
- Electronic monitoring allows doctors and nurses to track health of mother and baby remotely
- High level of security with restricted access, video surveillance and infant protection system for your peace of mind and safety
- Latest monitoring equipment
- Mothers remain in the same room throughout birthing experience and “room-in” with her newborn
- Newborn nursery, for assessment of well babies and care of sick babies
- Overnight in-room accommodations for support person
- Same nurses who care for patients during delivery or c-section are the same team that care for the patient after delivery
- Affiliated with GHS’ Children’s Hospital Level III NICU to transport and care for premature or very sick newborns
- Spacious and comfortable rooms designed for labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum care
- Staff trained in neonatal resuscitation
Location & Contact Information
The Family Birthplace
Oconee Memorial Hospital
298 Memorial Drive
Seneca, SC 29672
Phone: (864) 482-3200