Back to School is Back to the Real World!
Back-to-school time can be both exciting and stressful for students and parents alike. Getting ready for the first day of classes is a family effort. Here are some tips to smooth the process.
First Day Tips
- If your child seems nervous, remind them that there are a lot of students who are uneasy about the first day of school
- Point out the positive aspects of starting school—getting to see old friends again, meeting new friends, learning about interesting things, etc.
- Find another child in the neighborhood with whom your student can walk to school or ride on the bus
- If it is a new school for your child, attend any available orientations and take an opportunity to tour the school before the first day
- If you feel it is needed, drive your child (or walk with her) to school and pick her up on the first day
Backpack Safety Tips
Backpacks can be heavy, especially for little backs! Keep the following tips in mind to protect your child’s back.
- Choose a backpack with wide, padded shoulder straps and a padded back
- Pack light—go through the pack with your child weekly and remove unnecessary items
- Always use both shoulder straps
- Adjust the pack so that the bottom sits at your child’s waist
- If your school allows it, consider a rolling backpack
Find tips for helping your child develop good homework habits and ideas for healthy snacks, along with ways to help yourself prepare for your child’s return to school.
Bullying is a prevalent problem in today’s schools. One in three kids in the U.S. has been bullied at school. Take charge to help your kids overcome bullies at school.