It’s no secret. The holidays bring stress … and calories!
This holiday season, we’re focusing on eating healthy, cooking lighter and increasing our amount of exercise. We’re also talking about ways to avoid the mental stress that may be present around the holidays. Let us help you de-stress this December.
Holiday feasts, shopping and parties don’t have to derail your health and fitness goals and your mental health. As a matter of fact, it’s a great time to engage a friend or family member and work together toward a healthier lifestyle.
If exchanging presents is part of your tradition, try giving gifts that encourage friends and loved ones to be more active. Some ideas include …
Virtual Toy Drive
Make a Difference in a Child’s Life
It’s fast, easy and virtual-ly pain-free. Virtual giving enables you to make a real difference for children at GHS Children’s Hospital! Items range from birthday parties to stuffed animals to crayons to hundreds of therapeutic tools. It’s as easy as 1-2-3. Browse. Click. Buy.
Stay Active During the Holidays
Stuff your stocking, not your stomach. Don’t wait for the new year to get into a good routine. Make sure to hit the gym or work out on your own throughout the holiday season. Join our MoveWell online fitness community and exercise at your own pace whenever and wherever you choose.
New Twists on Old Favorites
You don’t need to skip your favorite holiday dish this year—use healthy substitutions for those high-calorie ingredients to make your meal “waist-line” friendly. A few small changes add up to a big difference. Use our healthy substitution guide to start planning your healthy holiday feast!
Between shopping, cooking and entertaining, the holidays can be overwhelming! The most wonderful time of the year often also is the most stressful time of the year.
Try these tips to ensure a happy holiday.
- Get organized. Use calendars and checklists to help with planning and preparation.
- Make it a family affair. You don’t have to do everything yourself.
- Plan ahead. Set your menus and shop for non-perishable ingredients early.
- Stick to a budget. Don’t spend beyond your means.
- Wrap gifts as you go. You can set up a gift wrapping hub in a corner.
- Set realistic expectations. Realize that it’s not going to be perfect.
- Take some time for yourself. Your family and friends will thank you.