Caring for Summer Skin
It’s important to take care of your skin, not only during the summer, but all year long. It may seem elementary, but knowing how to wash your face properly can make a difference in your appearance. Let’s start with the basics—follow these tips from dermatologists to help you keep your face looking healthy all year.
Face Washing 101
- Use a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser that does not contain alcohol.
- Wet your face with lukewarm water and use your fingertips to apply cleanser. Using a washcloth, mesh sponge, or anything other than your fingertips can irritate your skin.
- Resist the temptation to scrub your skin because scrubbing irritates the skin.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply moisturizer if your skin is dry or itchy. Be gentle when applying any cream around your eyes so you do not pull too hard on this delicate skin.
- Limit washing to twice a day and after sweating. Wash your face once in the morning and once at night, as well as after sweating heavily. Perspiration, especially when wearing a hat or helmet, irritates the skin. Wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating.
(American Academy of Dermatology)
Do You Need A Medical Home?
A medical home is a place where your physician knows you by name, and knows your medical history. This physician helps keep your health on track so you can live healthy all year.
Save the Skin You're In
Let’s face it, you can’t turn back the hands of time. But you can put a new battery in your watch to make it last longer. Take steps now to stop further sun damage to your skin.
Skin Cancer Prevention
It’s estimated 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer. Too much exposure to sunlight usually is the cause for skin cancer and the increasing rate of diagnosis.