Being healthy is about more than diet and exercise. It’s about being mentally healthy, too. Try these 10 things to get your new year off to a healthy and happy start.
1. Stay Flexible. Resilient people expect to face challenges at different points in their lives and on a daily basis. They are able to adjust their goals and find ways to adapt.
2. Learn Lessons. When a tough situation arises, don’t focus on who is to blame. Ask yourself what you could do differently next time to have a better result.
3. Take Action. Think about what you can do to improve your situation, and then do it.
4. Stay Connected. Nurture relationships with friends and family. When you’re going through a hard time, don’t withdraw. Accept help from those who care about you.
5. Release Tension. Make sure you have outlets to express your emotions and let go of tension.
6. Have a Sense of Purpose. Do things that bring meaning to your life.
7. Learn Healthy Habits. You’ll manage stressful times better if you:
8. Believe in Yourself. Take pride in your abilities and what you’ve done. Recognize your personal strengths.
9. Keep Laughing. Hold on to your sense of humor even when times are tough. Laughter relieves stress and helps you keep things in check.
10. Be Optimistic. A positive, hopeful outlook will make you much more resilient.
Brainstorm as many things as you can think of that make you feel happy and make a list. When you’re feeling stressed, sad or even just bored, pull out your list to get some inspiration for a pick-me-up. Some examples from our lists: