February is American Heart Month. However, the Heart & Vascular Institute of Greenville Health System (GHS) encourages you to love your heart throughout the year with seven (7) simple steps towards prevention:
- Eat right: Make vegetables and fruits, whole grains and fish mealtime staples. Limit sodium, saturated fat and added sugar.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Target a body mass index (BMI) of less than 25.
- Get moving: Log 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity, like brisk walking, each week.
- Stop smoking: If you smoke, quit.
- Control your cholesterol: Strive for a total cholesterol of less than 200 mg/dL.
- Manage blood pressure: Keep your numbers below 120/80 mm Hg.
- Reduce blood sugar: Aim for a fasting blood glucose less than 100 mg/dL.
Source: American Heart Association
It’s a Fact …
Facts and figures about your heart and heart disease. The more you know, the better prepared you will be to take care of your heart for life.
Signs of a Heart Attack
Each year, more than a million people experience a heart attack. Learning how to identify the early warning signs may save your life.