The general surgery service provides comprehensive surgical care for Greenville Health System.
Spartanburg Satellite Campus
Greenville Health System (GHS) is home to the largest group of general surgeons in the state. Our team of general surgeons provides comprehensive surgical care to meet a range of needs.
General surgery encompasses a wide range of procedures. Some of the most common procedures performed by our general surgery team include:
- Open and laparoscopic surgery of the abdomen (gastro-intestinal tract, spleen, pancreas, liver)
- Hernia surgery (both open and laparoscopic)
- Upper endoscopy and colonoscopy
- Breast surgery for both benign and malignant conditions
- Skin and soft tissue surgery
- Emergency surgical care, trauma evaluation and surgery 24 hours a day seven days a week with a board certified surgeon and staff of physicians in the hospital at all times
- Surgical critical care
Surgical Education Program
In addition to patient care, surgeons in the General Surgery division participate in the GHS surgical education program to help train future surgeons. The program teaches basic and advanced techniques to provide surgical residents with high-quality training and experience across a range of disciplines.
“It’s part of our mission to train surgeons to serve our community.”
Dane Smith, M.D., FACS
A Collaborative Treatment Approach
With one of the largest groups of general surgeons in the state, the GHS general surgery division assists patients with a range of needs, from routine procedures to emergency surgical care. Surgeons often collaborate with physicians in other specialties as well as referring physicians to provide the most comprehensive care and most advanced treatment available.
Surgeons are available at several convenient locations, including the Greenville Hospital, Greer Memorial Hospital, Hillcrest Hospital, and Patewood Hospital. GHS surgeons also perform general surgery procedures at numerous outpatient locations throughout Greenville and the Upstate, SC area.