Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program
The Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program at Greenville Health System (GHS) is designed to promote and facilitate the achievement of a lifelong commitment to excellence in orthopaedic surgery.
The Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Training Program offers a fully accredited five-year training program. The program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The PGY-1 year is a broad-based, rotating clinical experience with three rotations in orthopaedic surgery.
Sports Medicine & Shoulder Reconstruction
This one-year fellowship offers an opportunity for surgeons to hone their sports medicine and orthopaedic surgery skills and pursue their interests in orthopaedic research.
Our program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and participates in the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Program. We train with the latest state-of-the-art arthroscopy technology in our 2,500-square-foot, seven-station bioskills lab.
Learn more about our Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship.
Primary Care Sports Medicine
This fellowship is a one- or two-year Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) program sponsored by the Department of Family Medicine. The fellowship is designed to provide comprehensive sports medicine training in musculoskeletal and non-musculoskeletal disease in athletes and active individuals. We provide coverage for professional, collegiate and high school athletes, as well as the typical “weekend warrior.”
Our fellows have access to a broad range of resources within our medical system. In fact, we are the largest healthcare system in South Carolina and rank among one of the biggest health networks in the country.
Learn more about our Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship.
The Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowship at the Greenville Hospital System was developed and received OTA accreditation in the Summer of 2018. We are based at Greenville Memorial Hospital, an 814-bed tertiary care hospital that is ACS Level I certified.
With 4 full-time, fellowship-trained trauma faculty and appropriate trauma volume and complexity, we have the capacity and opportunity to provide an outstanding and unique educational opportunity for a fellow.
Beyond the traditional offerings of a trauma fellowship, the variety of subspecialty interests within our team allows the fellow to gain competency in:
- Complex hip arthroplasty for failed fixation or post-traumatic conditions
- Multi-ligament knee reconstruction
- Reconstructive procedures for the elbow including arthroplasty and ligament reconstruction
Learn more about our Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowship.
Adult Hip/Knee Reconstruction
Need More Information?
- Tokish JM, Chisholm JN, Bottoni CR, Groth AT, Chen W, Orchowski JR. Implementing an Electronic Patient-Based Orthopaedic Outcomes System: Factors Affecting Patient Participation Compliance. Military Medicine. 2017 Jan;182(1):e1626-30.
- Roberson TA, Granade CM, Adams KJ, Momaya AM, Kwapisz A, Kissenberth MJ, Tolan SJ, Hawkins RJ, Tokish JM. Non-operative management versus reverse shoulder arthroplasty for treatment of three and four-part proximal humerus fractures in the elderly. Shoulder Elbow Surgery, 2017Jan27. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2016.10.013
- Tokish JM, Kissenberth MJ, Tolan SJ, Salim TI, Tadlock J, Kellam T, Long CD, Crawford A, Lonergan KT, Hawkins RJ, Shanley E. Resilience correlates with outcomes after total shoulder arthroplasty. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2017 Feb 10.
- Roberson TA, Abildgaard JT, Wyland DJ, Siffri PC, Geary SP, Hawkins RJ, Tokish JM. “Proprietary Processed” Allografts: Clinical outcomes and biomechanical properties in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 2017 Feb 1:363546516687540. doi: 10.1177/0363546516687540.
- Roberson TA, Bentley JC, Griscom JT, Kissenberth MJ, Tolan SJ, Hawkins RJ, Tokish JM. Outcomes of total shoulder arthroplasty in patients younger than 65 years: a systematic review. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2017 Feb 10. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2016.12.069
- Roberson TA, Tokish JM. Superior Capsular Reconstruction for Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears. Techniques in Shoulder & Elbow Surgery. 2017 Mar 1;18(1):8-14.
- Washburn R, Anderson TM, Tokish JM. Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Augmentation: Surgical Technique Using Bovine Collagen Bioinductive Implant. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2017 Mar 13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eats.2016.10.008
- Gagliano JR, Helms SM, Colbath GP, Przestrzelski BT, Hawkins RJ, DesJardins JD. A comparison of onlay versus inlay glenoid component loosening in total shoulder arthroplasty. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2017 Mar 27. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2017.01.018
- Abildgaard JT, Bentley JC, Hawkins RJ, Tokish JM. Arthroscopic Removal of a Loose Polyethylene Glenoid Component With Bone Grafting and Patch Augmentation for Glenoid Osseous Defect. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2017 May 1.
- Roberson TA, Wyland DJ. Meniscal Allograft Transplantation With Soft Tissue in Bone Socket Fixation: Arthroscopic Technique With Technical Pearls. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2017 Apr 30;6(2):e483-9.
- Tokish JM, Alexander TC, Kissenberth MJ, Hawkins RJ. Pseudoparalysis: a systematic review of term definitions, treatment approaches, and outcomes of management techniques. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2017 Jun 30;26(6):e177-87.
- Abildgaard JT, Lonergan KT, Tolan SJ, Kissenberth MJ, Hawkins RJ, Washburn R, Adams KJ, Long CD, Shealy EC, Motley JR, Tokish JM. Liposomal bupivacaine versus indwelling interscalene nerve block for postoperative pain control in shoulder arthroplasty: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2017 May 4. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2017.03.012
- Topoluk N, Hawkins R, Tokish J, Mercuri J. Amniotic Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Exhibit Preferential Osteogenic and Chondrogenic Differentiation and Enhanced Matrix Production Compared With Adipose Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2017 May 1:0363546517706138.
Learn From the Experts
Why Greenville Health System?
Watch this video to learn more about our residency and fellowship programs.
See why people come from across the United States and other countries to train with our world-class orthopaedic specialists.