Why Greenville Memorial?
• Greenville Memorial Hospital has been certified by the Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center since 2009 and has consistently received recognition from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for excellent performance on measures related to stroke care.
• GMH also provides more comprehensive elements of stroke care such as the endovascular treatment of ischemic stroke and cerebral aneurysms.
• GMH not only has a Neuroscience and Stroke Unit with nurses who have received extensive education and training in the care of stroke patients, it also has a dedicated neurocritical care unit with highly skilled nurses and physicians that are fellowship trained and board certified in neurocritical care.
• GMH participates in stroke related research to influence and improve the science of stroke.
• GHS neurologists serve the upstate of SC region not only by providing emergent stroke evaluations to patients at GMH, but also to other affiliated emergency departments in the region through the use of telemedicine services.
• GMH integrates stroke rehabilitation into the inpatient and outpatient care through collaboration with Roger C. Peace Rehabilitation Hospital.
Certified Primary Stroke Center
GMH is a Certified Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission
The Joint Commission’s Certificate of Distinction for Primary Stroke Centers recognizes centers that make exceptional efforts to foster better outcomes for stroke care. Achievement of certification signifies that services provided have the critical elements to achieve long-term success in improving outcomes.
GMH earns American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines™ Gold Plus Achievement Award and Target:Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus
Gold hospitals follow treatment guidelines in certain key measures at least 85 percent of the time and have maintained this performance level for consecutive twelve month intervals. The Plus awards represent a current gold award and additional 75 percent compliance with module specific quality measures for at least twenty-four consecutive months. Some of these include aggressive use of medications like tPA, antithrombotics, anticoagulation therapy, DVT prophylaxis, cholesterol reducing drugs, and smoking cessation.
Target: Stroke is in addition to Gold Plus and is specifically how we have developed processes that allow us to rapidly treat ischemic stroke in less than 60 minutes from patient arrival to ED. This time period is currently met only about 1/3 of time nationally, and Target: Stroke hospitals must meet this goal >50% of the time.
NeuroDirect brings the expertise of GHS stroke specialists to community hospitals with telemedicine. About 1/3 of the counties in South Carolina have a shortage or no neurologists serving their population. And even when there are neurologists, they tend not to be stroke specialists. Currently, GHS partners with seven hospitals in the Upstate for stroke consultation and diagnosis with NeuroDirect.
Greenville Memorial Hospital
701 Grove Road, Greenville, SC 29605-5601