The Journey of Grief: Bereavement Support Group
No one chooses grief. Join this small group of 4-12 people as we learn together how to face grief. A licensed counselor facilitates each session which includes basic information about grief, group discussions, and activities that help you move through grief in your own way. If you are feeling alone as you walk this painful path, this group gives you a chance to find comfort from others who have also lost a close loved one. The support group is FREE and open to anyone grieving a loss, whether or not they have been a hospice patient.
We meet Thursdays for six weeks in the conference room* at the Cottingham Hospice House (390 Keowee School Road, Seneca). If you would like to come, please call the hospice office to register: (864) 882-8940. Six-week groups are offered throughout the year. Pick the session that is best for you:
- March 2-April 6: 3-4:30 p.m.
- April 27-June 1: 6-7:30 p.m.
- July 6-August 10: 6-7:30 p.m.
- August 31-October 5: 3-4:30 p.m.
- October 26-December 7: 3-4:30 p.m.
Between Us: Caregiver support group for those taking care of someone critically or terminally ill. Mutual support, education and relaxation are offered. The group meets the first Tuesday monthly 3-4:15 p.m. in the Cottingham Hospice House Chapel.
Camp Sunburst: Overnight camping experience for children (grades 1-6) who have lost a parent, sibling or other relative. Groups and outdoor activities take place at the Outdoor Lab in Clemson on April 29-30.
Life After Loss Series: 2 session workshops for those who lost a loved one at least 6 months ago on the following topics…
- Passing on the Stories. Choose part of your shared story to remember & record: Feb. 16 & 23, 4:30-6 p.m.
- How Connections/Family Change. Improve family/friend connections and feel at ease with family: April 13 & 20, 4:30-6 p.m.
- Self-care. Assess your own self-care and choose possible changes: Aug. 14 & 28, 4:30-6 p.m.
- Surviving the Holidays. Rethink and adapt for the first holidays: Nov. 21 & Dec 5, 5:30-7 p.m.
Compassionate Friends: Support group for parents who have lost a child (miscarriage, infant loss, child, teen or adult child). Meets the fourth Tuesday monthly from 6-7:30 p.m.
(Our bereavement sessions are free, however, registration is required. Visit ghs.org/events for registration and additional information.)
If you have any questions or would like to talk to someone privately about your grief call Eunice Lehmacher, bereavement coordinator at 882-8940 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Cottingham Hospice House faces Tucker Lane. The conference room is opposite the main entrance. Free parking is available near the conference room in the lot marked “Oconee Palliative Medicine.” Come in through the glass doors next to the outdoor porch.