The mission of the Heart & Vascular Institute of Greenville Health System (GHS) is to provide the highest quality, most efficient cardiovascular care for our patients. Through collaboration and a commitment to excellence, we care for patients in the Upstate of South Carolina and throughout the region.
Learn more about our Heart & Vascular Institute in the video below.
The Institute is composed of board-certified physicians, certified physician extenders, certified nurses and technicians who offer state-of-the-art care in the fields of adult and pediatric cardiology, cardiac and vascular surgery, and vascular and endovascular medicine. We work together to provide high quality, comprehensive care and the most advanced treatments known to medicine.
Cardiologists at Greenville Health System pioneered the use of intra-vascular ultrasound to more accurately diagnose cardiovascular disease. The procedure allows cardiologists to see inside an artery, making it easier for them to tell the difference between plaque and clots and to determine the thickness of plaque buildup. This and other innovative cardiac diagnostic procedures are found here, along with state-of-the-art equipment and the most qualified heart experts in the region.
The area’s only non-invasive vascular lab and the area’s only vascular medicine specialty practice provide a wide array advanced circulatory diagnostic services.
Five cardiac catheterization labs and separate electrophysiology and pacing labs offer the most extensive cardiac and vascular diagnostic services in the state.
Same Results, Less Invasive
Jesse Jorgenson, MD, talks about the TAVR device, which is providing the same results as open-heart surgery without the lengthy recovery.
Locations and Services
Our diagnostic services are offered at the following locations:
Carolina Cardiology (864) 455-6900 or (877) 611-9965
Diagnostic services include:
- Nuclear Stress testing
- Coronary Artery Calcium Score
- Cardiac MRI
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI)
- Transesophageal Echocardiogram (TEE)
- Ct Angiography
Click Here to view Carolina Cardiology Providers
Vascular Health Alliance (864) 454-VASC (8272)
Diagnostic services include:
- Largest non-invasive peripheral vascular laboratory in the Southeast
- Specialized imaging center – x-rays, 64-slice CT and phlebotomy
- Performs thousands of studies annually
- Home to the state’s only vascular surgery residency
- First vascular medicine fellowship in the country
- Translational labs used by the Clemson University Bioengineering program for bio-skills simulation and research
- Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Oxygen Center offers comprehensive care and treatment of non-healing chronic wounds including hyperbaric oxygen treatments.
- Center for Venous and Lymphatic Medicine for the treatment of complex venous disorders and cosmetic treatment of varicose veins.
Click Here to view Vascular Medicine Providers
Click Here to view Vascular Surgery Providers
Awards and Accreditations
Our transparent reporting is handled through American College of Cardiology, Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services, Joint Commission, Mission Lifeline, National Cardiovascular Data Registry, Society of Chest Pain Centers, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, and Vascular Surgery Group of New England-Carolina Chapter. Highlights of the Heart and Vascular Institute include …
- Mitral valve repair – in the top 5% of centers in the U.S. for volume using minimally invasive technique with excellent results
- Rated for three consecutive years as “better than the U.S. national average in AMI and CHF” (the only hospital in S.C. to receive this designation for AMI and only one of two for CHF care)
- Heart failure readmission rates—lowest in S.C. and second lowest in U.S.
- Center of Excellence and a designated training site for EP Cardiology services including Hansen robot ablation for atrial fibrillation
- One of only two adult congenital heart disease programs in S.C.
- The only fellowship-training institution for vascular surgery and vascular medicine in S.C.
- One of 10 designated Centers of Excellence in the U.S. for fibromuscular dysplasia diagnosis and treatment
- Chest Pain Center with national accreditation and in the top 2% nationwide
Our goal is to apply advances in cardiovascular research – novel and pre-market drugs, devices and procedures – to the care of patients in our region. And through education of our residents and medical students on our campus of the USC School of Medicine–Greenville, we will train a new generation of physicians to provide cardiovascular care. They will find that when we heal hearts, we help patients reclaim their health and their lives. That’s making a difference in the most profound of ways.
If you have questions or would like to visit our facilities, please contact the Heart and Vascular Institute at (864) 455-8414.