Improving Health & Managing Costs
Greenville Health System has over 14,000 employees, so we are not only the largest healthcare provider in the state, but also one of the largest consumers of healthcare services. In addition, GHS is self-insured so increases in healthcare expenses are directly felt across the bottom line. GHS has developed tools and programs to control its healthcare costs and is making these tools available to employers in the Upstate.
Business Health Services
GHS’ Business Health program offers employers a comprehensive approach to improve the health and wellness of their employees. As the leading healthcare organization in the Upstate committed to healthcare value, GHS offers a variety of services that can be tailored to meet a company’s individual needs. We hope to have the opportunity to partner with you to increase employee satisfaction, improve employee health and decrease cost.
Why Partner with Greenville Health System?
GHS recognizes that the current healthcare model no longer effectively meets the healthcare needs of our community, and we are confident that population-based care is the new model of care. Developing direct relationships with regional businesses and forging partnerships that enhance outcomes and manage costs are key in that transformation. GHS remains dedicated to providing high-quality care, safety and performance for those we serve. In short, we strive to deliver the right care, at the right time, at the right place.
Who We Are and What We Stand For
- GHS Vision: Transform health care for the benefit of the people and communities we serve.
- GHS Mission: Heal compassionately. Teach innovatively. Improve constantly.
- GHS Values: Together we serve with integrity, respect, trust and openness.
GHS is committed to medical excellence through patient care, research and education. GHS offers patients a comprehensive network of expertise and technologies through its eight medical campuses, tertiary medical center, research and education facilities, community hospitals, physician practices and numerous specialty services throughout upstate South Carolina. It also is home to one of the nation’s newest medical schools – University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville.
As the largest health system in South Carolina, and among the largest healthcare networks in the Southeast, our not-for-profit system contains 1,771 beds, 15 medical residency and fellowship programs, and the state’s largest number of active clinical trials. Recent honors include being named one of the Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks, Top 50 Teaching Hospitals and 10 Best-led Hospitals.
- 8 Medical Campuses
- 6 Acute Care Hospitals
- 2 Specialty Hospitals
- 4 Long-term Care Facilities
- 2 Wellness Centers
Access to 6 additional centers through PATH Membership
- 3,421 Registered Nurses
- 1,200+ Volunteers
- 8 Outpatient Facilities
- 200 Affiliated Practice Sites
- 1,771 Licensed Beds
- 80 Licensed Neonatal Intensive Care Bassinets
- 13,952 Employees
- 1,320 Affiliated and Employed Medical Staff
- 897 Employed Physicians (included in affiliated staff)
Awards and Recognitions
- In 2013, GHS provided over $340 million in quantifiable community benefits.
- Greenville Memorial Hospital has received the Consumer Choice Award from National Research Corp. as the hospital preferred by upstate residents and has earned this honor every year since the award began in 1996 – 18 consecutive years.
- Throughout this decade, GHS has been ranked among the nation’s Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks in Modern Healthcare magazine.
- Economically speaking, GHS is responsible for creating or maintaining one of every 19 jobs in Greenville County (or one of every 36 jobs in the Upstate).
- GHS was the only health system in the Upstate included in Becker’s Hospital Review’s 2013 edition of “100 Integrated Health Systems to Know.”
- Patewood Memorial Hospital has been awarded The Gold Seal of Approval by The Joint Commission for its total joint replacement program, involving knee, hip and shoulder replacements.
Why Implement Business Health Programs?
GHS Business Health offers employers a comprehensive approach to improve the health and wellness of their employees by offering a variety of services that can be tailored to meet the business needs.
GHS has worked with local employers for more than eight years to address their healthcare needs. Some of our regional business partners include Bob Jones University, ScanSource, City of Easley, Alice Manufacturing, D&W Fine Pack and Upward Sports.
Our partners are achieving the following goals by providing and promoting health and wellness services for their team members:
- Reduce healthcare costs
- Attract and retain valued employees
- Reduce absenteeism
- Increase productivity
- Improve employee satisfaction
- Avoid and reduce catastrophic insurance claims
Support Group, QuitWell Tobacco Cessation
GHS offers a tobacco cessation support group that meets weekly in the Community Room at the Patewood Memorial Hospital main entrance. This free support group includes education and discussion and is open to everyone
GHS offers personal trainers and group exercise instructors for both non-specialty classes (e.g., boot camp or circuit training) and specialty classes (e.g., Pilates and yoga). Not only are these individuals CPR and first aid certified, they also have national certification and/or an Exercise Science degree that equips them with the expertise to implement a professional and successful program at a GHS exercise facility or on-site at your business. Our trainers ensure safe and appropriate training levels according to health risks, age and ability.
GHS provides intensive care management for high-risk individuals with telephone and face-to-face appointments, resulting in improved member outcomes, appropriate use of resources and decreased costs to the employer. Focus is given to members with chronic, high-cost diseases such as diabetes, heart failure, asthma, COPD and hypertension, as well as those with frequent utilization of the emergency department or inpatient settings.
Care managers work collaboratively with providers and high-risk members to develop individualized care plans based on diagnoses and resource utilization patterns. They then facilitate referrals to GHS self-management programs, including the GHS Diabetes Self-Management program, LoseWell and QuitWell.
GHS provides DSME (Diabetes Self-Management Education) according to need and as ordered by a provider. Patients learn how to understand the diagnosis and how to self-manage by understanding and incorporating the following into their lifestyle: healthy eating, being active, monitoring, taking medications, solving problems, reducing risks and healthy coping. Registered dietitians are available for nutrition counseling.
GHS and Upstate Medical Pharmacy will provide prescription refill services for your business based on PBM (Pharmacy Benefits Management) approval. GHS will assign a pharmacist or designee who offers specialized disease management consulting to employees and will consult with the human resources department to make financially beneficial plan design changes for the employee and company.
If you would like more information about GHS’ Business Health services, please contact Pam Wessel, Business Relations Director at (864) 522-3104 or email@example.com. Click here for a printable overview of GHS Business Health Programs.