Thank you so much for your interest in supporting the children and families at The Children’s Hospital of GHS! Our children and families are always so appreciative to know the community cares.
Play is a key component of a child’s hospital stay. Research shows that children who have the opportunity to play often go home from the hospital quicker. We have three playrooms in different areas of the Children’s Hospital, ensuring that children and families have access to play 24 hours a day, or as their emotional needs and medical condition allows.
Below are some ideas of service project opportunities to help facilitate play and activity as well as the guidelines for items that can be donated.
Service project ideas:
- Assembling bead kits for bracelets or key chains
- Making ceramics for children to paint
- Making bird house kits for older children to assemble and paint
- Cutting out wooden shapes for children to paint
- Assembling individually packaged foam craft kits for children to do at bedside
- Sewing pillow cases in plain colored fabrics for children to use as autograph pillows
- Assembling medical play kits (with advance time we would provide the supplies)
- Decorating small bottles of bubbles with stickers (to be used to help children relax during procedures, or help them with breathing exercises)
- Toys should be able to be fully disinfected and should not include any cloth or fabric parts.
- Gently used toys are acceptable as long as they can be disinfected.
- Stuffed animals should be new.
If you are interested in doing a service project or making a donation, please call the child life office at (864) 455-5853 to schedule a drop-off appointment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive our donation wish list. You may also visit www.virtualtoydrive.org to donate online!