Greenville Health System (GHS) is a not-for-profit academic health organization committed to medical excellence through research and education and is accredited by the Joint Commission of Accreditation of Hospital Organizations (JCAHO). Our five campuses provide integrated health care to communities across Greenville County and beyond through a tertiary referral and education center, community hospitals, a long term acute care hospital, nursing home, outpatient facilities and wellness centers.
Greenville Hospital System at a Glance
- Physician education affiliations with Medical University of South Carolina and University of South Carolina Medical School.
- Nursing education and allied health affiliations with Bob Jones University, Greenville Technical College, University of South Carolina Upstate, Clemson University, Tri-County Technical College, and Lander University, among others
- Eight residency programs with a total of 130 residents
- Approximately 1,000 physicians on the medical staff
- Over 7,500 employees (See job listings)
- Total 1,110 beds
Greenville Memorial Hospital Campus: 750-bed Greenville Memorial Hospital tertiary referral and academic center, including Children's Hospital; Roger C. Peace Hospital--Rehabilitation (53 beds); Marshall I. Pickens Hospital--Behavioral Health (63 beds + 7 beds in Children's program)
- Greer Medical Campus: Greer Memorial Hospital (58 beds), Cottages at Brushy Creek (144 beds)
- Simpsonville Medical Campus: Hillcrest Memorial Hospital (43 beds)
- North Greenville Hospital: Long Term Acute Care: (45 beds)
- Patewood Medical Campus: Patewood Hospital; outpatient surgery center, primary care offices, outpatient center.
Our Mission: to improve the health of people in our communities in a caring, cost-effective manner.
Our Vision: to set the highest standard in providing healthcare services in the Upstate
Our Values: compassion, respect, caring, honesty, integrity, and trust exhibited daily through communication, forward thinking, creativity, continually striving to improve, responsiveness, a willingness to change, education, research, and clinical quality.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
With a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), GHS offers the region’s largest, most advanced level of specialty care for premature or critically ill infants. As part of the state’s premier perinatal center, we’re ready every day—all day—with the latest technology and monitoring equipment specially designed for tiny babies. In addition, our on-site neonatal doctors are available around the clock and backed by the area’s largest number of pediatric subspecialists to serve the 750 babies treated here annually. And when it’s time to bring babies home, our Children’s Hospital is one of the few nationwide with a program to teach parents how to care for children with special needs.
With 150 board certified doctors representing more than 30 pediatric sub-specialties, the Children’s Hospital is the only one dedicated to caring for children in upstate South Carolina, western North Carolina, and northeastern Georgia. Whether it is a rare form of cancer, diabetes, or a learning disability, our specially trained team delivers innovative, compassionate care in a child-friendly setting. And with many inpatient and outpatient services not available elsewhere in the region, we treat over 80,000 infants, children, and adolescents a year. Our experience and expertise, technology and scope of services--that's what sets the Children's Hospital apart.
GHS Heart Institute
In a groundbreaking study by CMS/Premier of 268 hospitals, GHS was ranked as the country’s leader in providing high quality care for heart bypass surgery. Thanks to the efforts of remarkable physicians and nurses, our heart bypass patients receive outstanding care and experience few complications. And our patients return to their everyday lives quickly. In fact, we perform the most cardiovascular surgeries in the state. Perhaps that's why National Research Corporation has named us the region’s top cardiac care provider and why over 10,000 people a year choose GHS for their heart care.
Greenville Health System has formed a partnership with Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas, a leader in orthopaedic care. With one of the finest sports medicine programs in the region, our experts provide a full range of state-of-the-art services. Multidisciplinary teams of orthopaedic specialists, some among the nation’s most experienced, deliver high-quality care to weekend warriors as well as to famous athletes. From sports conditioning to non-invasive treatment options and the latest rehabilitation techniques, we help people of all ages and from all walks of life. And we have offices located across the Upstate for your convenience.
Emergency Trauma Center
GHS provides the most extensive emergency services in the Upstate, including a regional referral center for the most severe injuries and illnesses. Emergency services are provided by a team of board certified emergency medicine physicians supported by specially trained nursing staff and emergency technicians. Emergency services include the following:
- The only Level I trauma center in Greenville
- The Upstate’s only Children’s Emergency Center
- Greenville's only Chest Pain Center to provide special care and observation for potential heart attack victims
- The Upstate’s only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit to treat the most severe injuries and illnesses in children
- Greenville’s only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for the highest level of care for critically ill newborns
Academic Medical Programs
Residency programs in the Greenville Health System Division for Academic Services offer primary care experience as well as specialty and sub-specialty rotations found in university programs. Residents receive a broad-based education – with a personal touch – from attending faculty and community physicians. While volume, technology, professional expertise, and research are important, personal care and customer service are emphasized as well.
Residency and fellowship programs in:
Obstetrics and Gynecology