Greenville Health System (GHS) is excited to announce our fourth Nurse Extern Program which will be offered summer, 2013. Started in 2010 with support of GHS Nursing Leadership and the GHS Nursing Recruitment and Retention Council, the Nurse Extern Program is designed to provide nursing students with exposure and immersion into the real world of acute care nursing at a premier academic medical center.
Program features include one-on-one mentoring and rotation through multiple clinical areas for maximum exposure and experience. Emphasis is placed on preparing the extern to be optimally positioned for successful transition into her or his senior year and ultimately into the new graduate nurse role.
Program dates and structure
Program duration is twelve weeks, May 20-August 9, 2013. Monetary stipends will be awarded to externs at the four-week mark, eight-week mark and program completion based on participation, performance and completion of assigned program components.
- One week hospital orientation
- Nine week clinical immersion (36 hours per week day shift, following an R.N. mentor’s schedule in three clinical units)
- One week clinical enhancement opportunities (exposure to specialty areas, nurses in advanced practice roles and other disciplines of the healthcare team)
- One week of vacation, June 30-July 6
- Integrated support, education and simulation opportunities
Program qualifications and eligibility
- Rising senior enrolled in an accredited bachelor of science nursing program
- Anticipated graduation date within 12 months
- Successful completion of at least one clinical nursing course
- Cumulative collegiate GPA of at least 3.0
- Current AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
Twenty externs will be selected after a comprehensive application and interview process
Application dates and process
|December 12, 2012
||On-line applications open. Materials required for application packet completion available for downloading
|January 23, 2013
||Deadline--completed application and required packet materials must be received by this date for program consideration
|January 23 – February 8, 2013
||Candidates selected for in-person interviews will be contacted. Candidates not selected will be notified by email
|February 11 – February 22, 2013
||On-site, in-person interviews conducted
|February 27, 2013
||Program selection and candidate offer notification complete
||Program pre-requisites and clearance processes completed by student
|May 20, 2013
||Program Start Date
For more information, contact Trish McGauly at 455-4304 or Cynthia Trout at 455-3717.
Click Here for Application and Forms