Greenville Health System’s (GHS) neurology service provides comprehensive care devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of neurology-related conditions, including epilepsy. For epilepsy, the program provides adult and pediatric patients with unmatched capabilities for the diagnosis and treatment of seizures and specialized services so that patients can get the care they need close to home. To refer a patient, or for more information call (864) 454-4500.
Click here for more information about epilepsy.
The Seizure Clinic is currently up and running in the UMG Neuroscience Associates (adult neurology) practice. It currently is held every Thursday morning in our clinic at 200 Patewood Drive Suite B350. The clinic will see patients 18 years of age or older with issues pertaining to seizure diagnosis and management. No physician referral is required. To make an appointment, call (864) 454-4500.
Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
The Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU), a 4 bed unit located in Greenville Memorial Hospital, allows extended monitoring of seizure activity for adult and pediatric patients. Patients typically stay 3 to 5 days.
- 4 private monitoring rooms with space for visitors and family
- 24/7 coverage by specialized staff for epilepsy monitoring provides ongoing seizure information in real-time
- Continual digital monitoring (EEG and video) for accurate diagnoses of seizure type, length and location of origin
- Extended monitoring ensures that seizures are captured (only about 30% of seizures are found in a single EEG).
- Extended monitoring also helps to pinpoint where seizures are occurring and to rule out non-epileptic seizures.
- Level 4 certification for epilepsy, the only one the area.
Patients who suffer from seizures which are difficult to diagnose and manage or those being evaluated for epilepsy surgery are those most likely to be admitted to the EMU. At GHS, treatment options for epilepsy include medication, surgical and vagal nerve stimulator programming and placement.
Patients may be admitted to the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU) only by the physicians listed below. If you would like to have an evaluation done in the EMU, please schedule a consultation with one of these physicians.
Physicians active in the program include:
UMG Neuroscience Associates
200 Patewood Drive, Suite B-350
Greenville, SC 29615
Mary Hughes, M.D.
Sandip Jain, M.D.
Kathleen McConnell, M/D.
John McBurney, M.D.
Brian M. Thompson, M.D.
Meng Zhou Wang, M.D.
Children’s Hospital Pediatric Neurology
200 Patewood Drive, Suite A-350
Greenville, SC 29615
11 Doctors Park, Suite 200
Spartanburg, SC 29307
Randall Blouin, M.D.
Emily Foster, M.D.
Addie Hunnicutt, M.D.
Augusto Morales, M.D.