Back to Document
Arrhythmia Consultants of the Heart & Vascular Institute of Greenville Health System (GHS), are some of the highest trained and most experienced cardiac electrophysiologist physicians in the state. They provide comprehensive diagnostic and treatment options for patients suffering from abnormal heart rates (arrhythmias). In addition to specialized drug therapies, these expert physicians provide intervention procedures including ablation and surgical implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators. Greenville Hospital has the most advanced EP laboratory in South Carolina. Arrhythmia Consultants were the first in the state to utilize and perfect the use of robotically assisted ablation of atrial fibrillation. These physicians are demonstrating that with the use of the state-of-the-art EP lab, patient exposure to radiation can be cut by half or more compared to standard ablation techniques for atrial fibrillation. In 1998, the practice provided the first 3-dimensional mapping system in South Carolina to handle treatment of even the most complex heart rhythm disorders. The physicians established the state's first defibrillator support group and were the first to use and most experienced operators of robotic procedures in the ablation of atrial fibrillation.
The electrophysiology team at Arrhythmia Consultants has the skill and experience to diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions related to irregular heart rhythms.
Diagnostic services include:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) tests of the heart's rhythm.
- Remote monitoring of heart rhythms by Holter monitor or an Event monitor, a device adhered to the patient's chest.
- Implantable heart rhythm recording devices for recurrent syncope (fainting) or palpitations of the heart.
- Complete monitoring and reprogramming of implantable devices used to treat arrhythmias, such as pacemakers, defibrillators and biventricular pacing
- Exercise Stress Testing
- Tilt Table Testing
- Complete Electrophysiologic Testing of the electrical conduction system of the heart.
Treatment services include:
- Implantation of pacemakers, devices that stabilize the heart rhythm and prevent the heart rate from slow to much.
- Implantation of defibrillators, devices that help prevent sudden death by bringing the heart back into normal rhythm using an electric shock.
- Implantation of cardiac resynchronization devices, both pacemakers and defibrillators, which improve the heart's function for patients with
congestive heart failure.
- Catheter ablation of hear tissue for all arrhythmias including supraventricular tachycardia (top chamber) and
ventricular tachycardia (bottom chamber).
- Robotically assisted catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation
- Participation in the latest drug and device protocols
GHS AFIB Clinic
Arrhythmia Consultants and GHS' Atrial Fibrillation Clinic (AFIB) provide you with the most current, comprehensive treatment strategies to safely and compassionately treat this heart rhythm disorder. Atrial fibrillation is the most common arrhythmia and many new treatment options are available. At the AFIB Clinic, you will learn about your arrhythmia, its threat to your health, identify and minimize potential risk factors for recurrences of your arrhythmia and discuss your options for treatment.
The goals of our highly experienced team are to eliminate the confusion about the management of AFIB, provide you with the latest and most reliable data regarding treatment options and discuss the options that meet your individual needs. If you are a candidate for ablation, we will guide you through the process.
The AFIB Clinic Team
Experienced staff and state-of-the-art facilities provide you with peace-of-mind. Our staff includes:
- Electrophysiologists who perform robotically assisted atrial fibrillation ablations using 3-dimensional electro-anatomic computer mapping techniques
in a biplane radiographic electrophysiology lab.
- Highly trained electrophysiology technicians and nurses staff one of the most advanced electrophysiology labs in the country, markedly reducing
patients' exposure to radiation.
- Cardiovascular surgeons perform the latest minimally invasive surgical ablations in state-of-the-art cardiovascular surgical suites designed
to shorten your hospital stay.
In the event of an emergency, one of our board certified, heart rhythm specialists is available 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week.
Advanced Robotic Solution for Arrhythmias
Arrhythmia Consultants offers patients the latest in robotic treatment of arrhythmia using the Sensei® Robotic Catheter System. A very specialized tool used for catheter based mapping within the chambers of a patient’s heart, the Sensei System allows for more precise and stable catheter manipulation during complex cardiac procedures. Arrhyth
This unique, state of the art technology is powered by a highly accurate, robotically controlled arm that allows for catheter navigation, stability and positioning within the chamber of the heart, allowing for the following patient advantages:
- Shorter procedure times
- Reduced exposure to X-ray radiation
- Navigation with superior stability and control
- Access to technology provided by the global leader in flexible robotics
We welcome new patients and offer you many benefits. As a patient you will:
- Be asked to complete an evaluation.
- Receive the latest treatment strategies tailored to your specific type of atrial fibrillation.
- Receive a sheet summarizing your treatment and goals.
- Receive a laminated card for being a member of the AFIB Clinic.
- Receive information on new atrial fibrillation treatment options as they become available or any new research protocols.
- Be invited to attend free educational seminars.
Donald S. Rubenstein, MD, PhD, FACC
Lawrence T. Weston, MD, FACC
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 864-522-1400.