Greenville Health System (GHS) is excited to announce our fifth Nurse Extern Program which will be offered summer, 2014. Started in 2010 with support of GHS Nursing Leadership and the GHS Nursing Recruitment and Retention Council, the Nurse Extern Program is designed to provide nursing students with exposure and immersion into the real world of acute care nursing at a premier academic medical center.
Program features include one-on-one mentoring and rotation through multiple clinical areas for maximum exposure and experience. Emphasis is placed on preparing the extern to be optimally positioned for successful transition into her or his senior year and ultimately into the new graduate nurse role.
The GHS Nurse Extern Program is unique in that Externs are given the opportunity to identify and rank the clinical units that they have an interest in experiencing. This input is utilized to design the Extern's clinical rotation schedule. Rotations can be as diverse NICU, ER and Cardiac Surgery where Externs experience different patient populations and interdisciplinary teams. Many Externs experience the continuum of care for patients with rotations through clinical units such as ER, Post-Anesthesia Care Unit and Neuro-Trauma ICU.
Additionally the GHS Nurse Extern Program offers a week of “Clinical Enhancement Opportunities” that allow the Extern to have mini-exposure opportunities to specialty areas, nurses in advanced practice roles and other disciplines of the healthcare team.
- Twelve weeks from May 18-August 8, 2014
- One week of GHS and Program orientation
- Nine total weeks of clinical immersion (36 hours per week day shift, following an R.N. mentor's schedule in three clinical units)
- One week of vacation June 29-July 5
- One week of clinical enhancement opportunities
- Integrated support, education and simulation opportunities
- Clinical practice evidenced-based investigation project
- Monetary stipends will be awarded to externs at the four-week mark, eight-week mark and program completion based on participation, performance and completion of assigned program components
Program Qualifications and Eligibility
- Rising senior enrolled in an accredited bachelor of science nursing program
- Anticipated graduation date within 12 months of Extern Program Start Date (Dec. 2014 or May 2015)
- Successful completion of at least one clinical nursing course
- Cumulative collegiate GPA of at least 3.0
- Current AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- Twenty externs will be selected after a comprehensive application and interview process
Important Application Dates and Process Information
- November 11, 2013 - On-line applications open. Materials required for application packet completion available for downloading
- January 17, 2014 - Application DEADLINE--completed application and all required packet materials must be received by this date for program consideration
- January 17- February 7, 2014 - Candidates selected for in-person interviews will be contacted and in-person interviews will be scheduled. Candidates not selected will be notified by email
- February 19, 2014 - Program selection and candidate offer notification complete
- March/April 2014 - Program pre-requisites and clearance processes completed by Extern
- May 18, 2014 - Program Start Date
For more information or questions, please contact the following individuals
- For Program related questions contact Trish McGauly, Manager of Nursing Workforce Development at 864-455-4304 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Application related questions contact Ethel Renew, Workforce Development/Student Services Coordinator at 864-455-8739 or email@example.com
GHS Nurse Extern Program Application and Forms
For an application to be considered complete, all of the forms below must be submitted and received by the application deadline:
Required forms and transcript should be mailed to:
Workforce Development/Student Services Coordinator
Health Sciences Administration Building
Greenville Health System
701 Grove Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29605
Helpful Tips for Applying and Interviewing:
- Have transcript sent directly to us at the mailing address provided
- Have required forms sent directly to us at the mailing address provided
- Be sure to submit the application on-line only. Do not send in a printed version of the on-line form
- The online application requires an essay response of no more than 300 words to the following questions: Describe your interest and personal thoughts about your future career in health care as a Registered Nurse. Describe your career goal(s). Describe what you hope to gain from the Nurse Extern Program experience? What contribution can you make to the Nurse Extern Program?
- The deadline for receipt of all required forms is firm. We will not accept post-mark dates. It is strongly recommended that applicants plan accordingly for mail processing and delivery delays that may occur and have your forms sent in early
- GHS is not responsible for notifying you that your application is not complete or a required form has not been received. Applicants are responsible for following up with faculty to ensure required forms are completed and sent in time to meet deadline requirement
- The Extern interview process provides an opportunity for GHS representatives to garner insight into the applicant's level of maturity, understanding of the Nurse Extern Program, and ability to communicate. The interview uses standardized questions and a uniform rating system designed to understand the applicant's communication skills, empathy for others, social and self-awareness, problem-solving abilities, motivation, commitment, integrity, coping skills, and fit with the Nurse Extern mission and vision.